Blackouts are now a reality in Australia, with extreme weather and heat putting increased strain on the electricity grid.
The important thing to remember is to stay calm if the power goes out.
Restoring the electricity is usually the responsibility of your energy distributor and if other houses on your street are also without power, it’s likely they’re already on the job. If you’re not sure who your distributor is, visit the Australian Energy Regulator website.
If you do find yourself in the midst of a power outage, here are a few things you can do:
- Check on your neighbours – find out whether they have power and if they do, check the switchboard at your house. It might just be that the safety switch has tripped, and you can turn the power back on yourself.
- If the power is out at their place too, make sure they’re okay (especially if your neighbours are elderly or particularly vulnerable.)
- Turn your lights and appliances off at the wall to protect them in the event of a power surge when the electricity is restored. Leave one light on so you know when the power comes back on.
There are also a couple of things you can do in advance do to prepare for blackouts:
- Have battery-powered devices such as radios and lights at the ready so that you can stay connected (and don’t forget to have some spare batteries handy.)
- If you live in an area that is prone to power outages, it could be worth investing in a solar battery system with blackout protection.
Protect yourself from power outages with a solar battery
If you have solar panels, or are thinking about getting them, a solar battery with blackout protection will get you through when the power goes out. However it’s important to know that not all batteries come with this feature.
The DC Sunny Saver battery package is DC Power Co’s high-quality, affordable solar battery package that comes with blackout protection included at no extra cost.
You can set a ‘reserve capacity’ to make sure there’s always some energy reserved in your solar battery in case of a power outage, and with extended warranties you can be confident you’ll be protected for the long run.